A DISABLED grandmother is scared to go into her kitchen after falling several times.

Margaret Harvie has complained to Kirklees Neighbourhood Housing about the poor ventilation in the kitchen.

The 60-year-old from Bradley said: “If I’ve two pans on I have to open the window.

“I need an extractor fan to take the steam out. I’ve fallen three of four times because the floor is slippy. I’m covered in bruises.”

Mrs Harvie, who is registered disabled and suffers from arthritis and bronchitis, is scared to let her grandchildren visit her in the flat off Keldregate.

She said: “I don’t want them going into the kitchen in case they fall.”

And Mrs Harvie is wary of venturing into the room herself.

She said: “It’s a pure nightmare. I’m terrified to go into the kitchen alone.

“My son James lives round the corner and he comes to see me in the evenings.

“But after he leaves at about 7pm I don’t go into the kitchen. I just do without a cup of tea.”

Mrs Harvie has frequently complained to KNH since they installed the kitchen 18 months ago.

She said: “They’ve sent four inspectors round, but they just say they will sort something out and they pass it on to someone else.

“They’re just not interested.”

A KNH spokesman said: “We are sorry that Mrs Harvie has fallen in her kitchen.

“We have not been made aware of a serious damp problem at the property.

“We will be in contact with her immediately to ensure that a surveyor attends the property to assess the nature of the problem.”