THE family of a woman killed in the July 7 attacks by a Huddersfield suicide bomber questioned whether the emergency services could have saved her.
They made their concerns known after learning she survived for 45 minutes after the blast.
For five years, relatives assumed Behnaz Mozakka, 47, died instantly when suicide bomber Jermaine Lindsay, 19, blew himself up on a Tube train between King’s Cross and Russell Square.
But a fortnight ago they discovered she was in fact conscious after the explosion and even spoke to a police officer, a pre-inquest hearing at the Royal Courts of Justice in central London was told.
Seventeen of the 52 innocent people killed in the 2005 London bombings did not die instantly, a document submitted to the hearing revealed.
Mrs Mozakka, from Finchley, north London, was on her way to work at Great Ormond Street Hospital when she became one of Lindsay’s 26 victims.
Lindsay was a former Rawthorpe High School student who turned to extremism.
Gareth Patterson, representing her relatives and three other bereaved families, argued that the inquests for those killed should investigate whether the emergency services could have saved more lives.
Mrs Mozakka’s family is “entitled” to an inquiry into why she apparently failed to receive “timely treatment”, he said.
He said: “For five years they believed that she died instantly. For the first time they have discovered that their wife and mother remained alive for 35 to 45 minutes after the explosions.
“They want to know what happened to her in the crucial minutes after the explosion.”
Mr Patterson added: “There is reason to believe there may have been failings.”
The coroner, Lady Justice Hallett, is holding a three-day legal hearing to decide what form the inquests – expected to start in October – should take.
Another lawyer argued the British authorities breached their obligations to protect their citizens by failing to act on information they had about the bombers before the attacks.
Christopher Coltart, representing seven of the bereaved families, said the inquests should be a wide-ranging investigation of whether the atrocities could have been avoided.
He said: “In the 15-month period or so leading up to the bombings in July 2005, MI5 and the police were between them in possession of a significant amount of information about the bombers, two of them in particular, Mohammad Sidique Khan and Shehzad Tanweer.
“If, we submit, appropriate, available and proportionate action had been taken at an earlier stage, it may have been possible that the events of July 7 could have been avoided.
“The failure to take such action places the state in breach of its obligations to the citizens of this country under Article 2 of the European Convention on Human Rights to protect the lives of those who live in this country.
“As a result there should now be a full and public investigation of what went on.”
Another key issue the coroner must consider is whether the inquests for the four suicide bombers should be combined with those for the 52 innocent victims.
The bereaved families oppose the hearings being held together, saying it would cause them great distress.