AN inquest into the death of two young brothers in a fire at Thornton Lodge will be opened tomorrow.
The inquest into the death of two-year-old Junaid Hussain and his four-year-old brother Sohail on May 6 will be held in Bradford.
The boys died after a blaze in a bedroom at their Rashcliffe Hill Road home on Wednesday last week.
Firefighters believe it is possible the children were playing with a cigarette lighter while their mother Nazia Akhtar, who is eight months’ pregnant, was downstairs with friends.
The fire was spotted by labourers working near the rear of the property, who tried to rescue to boys, but were beaten back by the heat.
Following the tragedy, West Yorkshire Fire Service is urging parents to be extra vigilant about safety in the home.
Senior community safety officer Brian Robson said: “Firefighters have attended far too many incidents like this and we desperately want to avoid any more tragic accidents.
“Children are naturally drawn to warmth and light of fire and, as we have seen, this can end in disaster.”
He is urging all parents to speak to their children about fire safety at a young age and take steps to ensure things like lighters and matches are out of their reach.
He said: “Parents should tell children never to play with matches, lighters and lighted candles and to stay away from heaters, electrical cables, sockets and the cooker.
“If they see matches or lighters lying around they should tell a grown-up.
“It is also important to talk through with children what to do if there is a fire.
“Don’t avoid it for fear of frightening them, as children need to know the basics of how to react.
“There may not be an adult around to tell them what to do if a fire happens.”
He added that children should be taught their address, so they can raise the alarm and direct firefighters to their home if necessary.
For more advice, or a free home fire safety check, call West Yorkshire Fire Service on freephone 0800 587 45 36.
How to get out alive
Plan an escape route and make sure everyone in the house, including children, childminders and babysitters are familiar with it.
Keep all exits clear and practice the escape plan with the children.
In case of fire, get out of the building as soon as possible.
Never go back into the building for anything.
If there is smoke, crawl along the floor where the air is cleanest.
If the escape route is blocked, go into a room with a window, put bedding or towels at the bottom of the door to block the smoke. Open the window and call for help.
Never hide in a cupboard or under a bed.
Dial 999 as soon as possible, ask for the fire service and give the address clearly.