HUDDERSFIELD five years after Waterloo was still a village.
A large and bustling village that had grown from 7,000 in 1801 to 13,284 in 1821, but still a village.
Few landmarks that the villagers of 1820 would recognise have survived. The spectacular circular Cloth Hall, whose main entrance looked south-east down Cross Church Street, is gone: only the road name survives.
The George Hotel, then facing into Market Place, stole away into, and gave its name to, St George’s Square.
The present parish church, St Peter’s, was rebuilt in 1835 on the same site as an older place of worship.
Queen Street’s Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is now the Lawrence Batley Theatre.
Edward Law’s book, published under the auspices of Huddersfield Local History Society, is based on a map of Huddersfield made in 1820 but which was known only in reprint form: the original was missing.
It takes the form of an imaginary town ‘tour’. It is only a matter of time, we suspect, before someone from the HLHS turns it into a reality.
The original map, drawn by one John Bradley, turned up in 2007 and was handed over to Kirklees Archives.
Both these maps are published and form both the basis and a major highlight of the book.