THE RSPCA has inspected a Huddersfield dog kennels after a family made a complaint.
Marina Kennels, on Peace Pit, off Leeds Road, was investigated after a family said that when they collected a dog it was suffering from a potentially deadly virus.
Monday's inspection came after Katie Battye, 30, of Dewsbury Moor, chose a cross Staffordshire bull terrier from the kennels on Wednesday last week.
But after taking the dog to the vet the mother-of-two was told the animal, Buster, was suffering from the parvo virus.
Buster is now fighting for life at a £100- a-day veterinary practice. It has so far cost the family £500 to keep him alive.
Ms Battye said: "You sign a disclaimer when you get a dog and are told you will have to deal with any health problems it may have.
"But we were never aware of the extent of what those problems could be.
"They should give you more information when you get a dog.
"We knew we would have to get him vaccinated - but didn't have a clue it would be anything like this.
"How do you explain to your kids that the dog they have got will have to die because you cannot afford to pay the vet's bills?"
When the family contacted Marina Kennels they were told they could bring the dog back and be refunded.
Ms Battye said: "The kids are so attached to him now and when you rescue a dog you feel you are letting them down if you don't do what you can.
"The kids are devastated, but we don't want to take him back because they will put him down."
Marina Kennels owner Janet Worrell said: "All our dogs are strays, so there is a possibility of them having parvo when they come in.
"But any animal coming in showing signs of it goes straight into isolation.
"It is unlikely the dog has caught it here. The chances are it is the irresponsible previous owner who has not had it vaccinated," she added.
"We do what we can for these animals and try to get them back in homes instead of being stuck in a cage."
The RSPCA said the inspection had shown the kennels had not broken the 1911 Protection of Animals Act and no legal action was to be taken.
Heather Holmes, RSPCA regional press officer, said: "Canine parvo virus is an extremely virulent and potentially fatal illness.
"It can lead to sudden death in young puppies, with its main symptoms being severe gastro-enteritis and diarrhoea.
"It is endemic and every dog owner should ensure that their pet is vaccinated against it annually.
"But many stray dogs will not have been vaccinated, so pets which pass through kennels which take in strays face a high risk of catching parvo."