The Women’s Land Army was established during the First World War. With huge numbers of men volunteering to fight, the country was desperately short of labour.
During the first six months of the Second World War, more than 30,000 men previously working in agriculture had joined the forces.
The government re-formed it and by 1944 there were 80,000 women volunteers working on the land.
About a third of the volunteers moved to the countryside from Britain’s industrial towns and cities.
The ‘Land Girls’ wore green jerseys, brown breeches and brown felt hats.