LANDLORDS risked their tenants' lives by ignoring fire safety in their flats, a court heard.
Huddersfield magistrates were told brothers Martyn and Marlon Cliffe bought a converted house in Brook Street, Moldgreen, early last year.
The house is separated into five small units.
In July, 2001, fire crews called to the house realised the proper fire safety precautions were not in place.
When the brothers bought the flats Kirklees Council told them major improvements needed to be done within 230 days, starting in June, 2003.
A grant for 80% of the work could be applied for.
But the measures - which included emergency lighting, early warning fire alarms and extinguishers - were not put in place.
The brothers admitted non-compliance with fire regulations and were fined £1,000 each.
They must also split costs of £250.
Martyn Cliffe, 36, of Hali- fax Road, Hightown, Liversedge, said a lot of the work had been carried out.
Marlon Cliffe, of Long Grove Avenue, Dalton, pleaded guilty by letter. In the letter, which was read out, he said they had been naive in buying the flats.
Geoff Bell, prosecuting, for Kirklees, said the brothers never applied for a grant.
He added: "Some work was done, but it was more cosmetic than actually addressing the problem."
Paul Howard, Kirklees's private sector housing chief, said later: "We are pleased with the outcome of this case. It is important for tenants that privately rented housing is up to the standard required for occupation.
"The flats should have had fire detection and fire precautions installed for the protection of life.
"As the property didn't have this we served a notice requiring the landlords to provide it. They failed to comply with it."