Snow has fallen again overnight bringing more problems for people in Huddersfield.
The snowfall, labelled the Beast from the East, has hit the town and the Met Office have issued yellow and amber weather warnings throughout the rest of the week. Temperatures are unlikely to see above zero today (Wednesday).
The adverse weather conditions are likely to cause travel disruption on the M62 and local roads, as well as possible school closures.
Stay with us for live updates, including road closures, travel disruptions and cancellations and school closures, as well as the latest on the gritting of the roads.
Feel free to send in your pictures on the snow covering the local scenery on Facebook or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also download our app to get news on the go and push notifications for the latest breaking stories here .
M62 all back to normal
All lanes have been reopened after the earlier breakdown.
See you tomorrow!
We’re back - there’s a problem on the M62.
The is heavy traffic and one lane closed due to a broken down vehicle eastbound between J21 A640 (Milnrow) and J22 A672 (Rishworth Moor).
Wednesday round up
Here’s a round up of the events from today. We’ll be back tomorrow for more from the beast!
M62 back to normal
No fear M62 commuters. Earlier congestion has eased westbound at J22 (Rishworth Moor) and you should be on your way soon.
Ainley Top looking snowy
Snow on the motorway...
For commuters Manchester way!
Latest weather report from Examiner weatherman
Yes, in the wind it feels colder than -14c!
Update for M1 commuters
One lane closed due to broken down vehicle on M1 Northbound between J41 A650 (Carrgate) and J42 M62 (Lofthouse). Traffic is coping well.
M62 traffic very slow around Rishworth Moor
Our traffic partners Inrix are reporting very slow traffic and traffic heavier than normal on the M62 Westbound at J22 A672 (Rishworth Moor), congestion to J24 A629 (Ainley Top).
Bus delays and cancellations from Metro
737 - Delays.
747 - Has resumed running full route of service
23 - Terminating at Pellon Lane.
343 – Serving main roads only. Terminating at Elland
466 - Unable to serve Todmorden. Terminating at Bacup.
503 - Delays.
526 - Terminating at Bradshaw church.
533/534 - Suspended.
560 - Unable to serve Commons. Terminating at Rishworth.
571 - Still omitting Whinney Hill Park. The section between Southowram and Brighouse is not passable and is operating via the 548 route (Hipperholme).
574 - Terminating at Kershaw estate due to road conditions.
577 - Unable to serve Milton Avenue and Tuel Lane due to road conditions.
589 590 592 - Services to Burnley and Rochdale have resumed. Road conditions have improved and are passable with care. Delays expect.
589 592 Not running via Mereclough, Hill Crest or Pike Road. Using Todmorden Road A671 until end of service tonight.
Both the 1750 589 Rochdale-Portsmouth and the 2220 592 Halifax-Portsmouth will only run to Todmorden. This is due to no safe turning place for a bus to turn around at Portsmouth.
X58 - Unable to serve Rochdale, terminating at Ripponden.
81 - Not serving Clayton West, The Green and Upper Denby.
82 - Not serving Gilthwaite and Highburton, operating via Penistone Road.
83 - Not serving Highburton, Riley Lane and Marsh Lane in Shepley.
85A - Not serving Houses Hill.
181 - Terminating Slaithwaite turning circle. Travelling on Manchester Road only. Not serving Cowersley Lane and Causeway side.
185/183 - Terminating Fall Lane, Marsden
209 - Main roads only
212/212A - Main roads only. Unable to serve Broomsdale Road and Hayburn Road.
213 - Main roads only
220 - Main roads only.
221 - Main roads only.
222 - Main roads only.
223 - Main roads only.
226 - Delays from Norwood Green standing traffic Bailiff Bridge.
229 - Main roads only.
231/32 - Unable to serve Grange Moor and Emley due to road conditions.
252 - Main roads only.
253 - Main roads only.
254 - Main roads only.
255 - Main roads only.
256 - Main roads only.
262 - Terminating at Upper Heaton.
268 - Main roads only.
268A - Main roads only.
281 - Not serving Howden Clough. Diverted via Bradford Road
309 - Operating directly from Honley to Holmfirth. (Not serving Netherthong).
310/314/316 - Terminating Holmfirth bus station.
319 - Suspended.
324 - Terminating at Meltham Turning Circle
343 – Serving main roads only. Terminating at Elland.
358 - Has resumed to running full route
370/371/372 - Delays.
503 - Delays.
549 - Now serving full route again
933 - Service suspended.
938 - Using Manchester Road.
X25 - Main roads only.
X29 - Main roads only.
X63 - Delays.
Latest M62 news
Virgin East Coast trains updates and cancellations
The following Virgin Trains East Coast services have been affected by the weather.
- 13:30 Edinburgh to London Kings Cross due 17:53
- 14:30 London Kings Cross to Newcastle due 17:39 will be cancelled.
- 14:30 Edinburgh to London Kings Cross due 18:50 has been cancelled.
- 15:05 London Kings Cross to Leeds due 17:16 will be cancelled.
- 15:15 Leeds to London Kings Cross due 17:27 will be cancelled.
- 15:45 Leeds to London Kings Cross due 17:59 will be cancelled.
- 16:02 York to London Kings Cross due 18:27 has been reinstated and is now running as scheduled.
- 16:15 Leeds to London Kings Cross due 18:30 will be cancelled.
- 16:25 Newcastle to London Kings Cross due 19:43 will be cancelled.
- 16:30 Edinburgh to London Kings Cross due 20:52 will be cancelled.
- 17:45 Leeds to London Kings Cross due 19:59 will be cancelled.
- 18:45 Leeds to London Kings Cross due 20:59 will be cancelled.
Northern Trains travel update: Latest cancellations and delays
The following Northern trains are all cancelled due to the weather:
- 14:35 Carlisle to Barrow-In-Furness due 17:23
- 15:18 Leeds to Manchester Victoria due 16:42
- 15:21 Colne to Preston due 16:30
- 15:23 Southport to Manchester Airport due 16:52
- 15:28 Carlisle to Middlesbrough due 18:15
- 15:40 Manchester Airport to Liverpool Lime Street due 16:40
- 15:49 Manchester Piccadilly to Buxton due 16:48
- 15:50 Barton-On-Humber to Cleethorpes due 16:43
- 15:59 Whitby to Middlesbrough due 17:29
- 16:06 Leeds to Nottingham due 18:00
- 16:21 Leeds to Doncaster due 17:06
- 16:26 Doncaster to Leeds due 17:11
- 16:30 Preston to Liverpool Lime Street due 17:26
- 16:31 Carlisle to Barrow-In-Furness due 19:10
- 16:55 Cleethorpes to Barton-On-Humber due 17:47
- 16:57 Leeds to Doncaster due 17:41
- 17:06 Manchester Airport to Southport due 18:37
- 17:21 Leeds to Doncaster due 18:06
- 17:27 Doncaster to Leeds due 18:14
- 17:40 Middlesbrough to Whitby due 19:11
- 17:55 Barton-On-Humber to Cleethorpes due 18:47
- 18:17 Nottingham to Leeds due 20:18
- 18:57 Southport to Manchester Victoria due 20:09
- 18:59 Cleethorpes to Barton-On-Humber due 19:51
- 19:18 Whitby to Middlesbrough due 20:47
- 19:59 Barton-On-Humber to Cleethorpes due 20:52
- 21:04 Cleethorpes to Barton-On-Humber due 21:56
- 22:00 Barton-On-Humber to Cleethorpes due 22:52
Green Flag predicting thousands of breakdowns tomorrow
Green Flag is predicting tens of thousands of vehicle breakdowns tomorrow - and says our area could be one of the worst hit.
It says it experienced a 72 per cent increase in call outs by noon today and around 21,000 call outs were made by breakdown providers across the UK.
It expects tomorrow to be the worst day for drivers, with an expected 35,000 breakdowns on Britain’s roads.
And it says it believes a total of 97,000 breakdowns will occur during Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Simon Henrick, Head of News at Green Flag, said:
With much of the country on either Red or Amber alert, we’d strongly advise motorists to try and stay off the roads wherever possible. The weather conditions are only set to worsen over the coming days, so it’s vital that motorists do all they can to stay safe on and off the roads. If they cannot avoid travelling, motorists should follow our winter weather tips and ensure their vehicle is in prime condition.
Some advice from Green Flag for winter driving
- Check your speed and use gentle driver inputs - even if the roads have been gritted they’re likely to be slippery.
- Give more warning than usual to other drivers - when turning, stopping or changing lane.
- Keep plenty of distance between cars - you never know when you’ll hit an icy patch. If you pass the same landmarks as the car in front of you within three seconds, you’re following too closely.
- Check whether your car has ABS anti-lock brakes. In the unlikely event that it doesn’t, pump the brake pedal slowly to prevent the wheels locking up and skidding.
- Be extra-wary of black ice. It’s an invisible danger that can catch out even the most careful driver.
- Approach corners at a steady speed, in as low a gear as possible. Don’t touch the clutch unless it’s absolutely necessary, steer smoothly and avoid braking on bends.
- Make sure all passengers are wearing seat belts.
- Ensure you’re familiar with your car’s ventilation system to prevent windows from steaming up. Air conditioning will keep windows free from mist and condensation.
The M62 westbound between junctions J24 and J22 is suffering some congestion. There are delays of around 40 minutes.
It looks like traffic will be affected on the M621 for a while yet.
The hard shoulder and lane 1 eastbound are closed at J2 (Elland Road) because of a broken down vehicle. It’s expected to clear between 4.45pm and 5pm.
Some lovely pictures sent to us today
There’s a lot of love out there for the wintry weather we’ve had today! It might be freezing and hard to drive in but it sure is pretty!
M621 breakdown causing traffic problems
If you’re heading towards Leeds, be aware there is one lane closed and slow traffic on the M621 due to a vehicle breakdown. It’s at J2 near Elland Road.
Latest forecast as rush hour approaches
If you’re lucky you’ll be getting off home soon - here’s what’s to come this afternoon, evening and overnight.
Paul Stevens says temperatures hit -10c last night!
Huddersfield Town showing northern grit!
I’m glad I’m not a Premier League footballer! Check out the Town lads!
What to do about frozen pipes
Yorkshire Water just tweeted some advice about what to do if your pipes are frozen
Power cut in HD4
Northern Powergrid says there is an unplanned power cut affecting 40 homes in HD4 6LP and HD4 6NA.
It says it is working to get the power back on asap.
Meanwhile it has released the following information:
News for First Bus passengers
Kirklees Council’s gritters have been out during the last 8 hours and are planning another full grit at 6pm tonight and 5am on Thursday.
-10 confirmed in Huddersfield
Huddersfield meteorologist Paul Stevens has confirmed the temperature dropped to -10 last night:
Some lovely pictures up at Digley Reservoir earlier today:
Check on your elderly neighbours
Wise words of advice from one of our local MPs:
You know it’s real when there are *ACTUAL REAL LIFE ICICLES* hanging off your car.
All flights from Leeds Bradford Airport are cancelled or being diverted until 4.40pm. There are also additional cancellations until 10.15pm tonight.
You can check the full list here. At the moment, there doesn’t appear to be any disruption at Manchester Airport.
Disruptions to flights
Best checking flight times on the airport websites before you travel: