A MARSH man died from a heroin overdose soon after being released from prison, an inquest heard.
Kevin Carroll, 41, was found dead hours after he and a friend had taken the drug at his home at Westbourne Road.
Yesterday’s inquest heard that unemployed Mr Carroll, who had history of drug and alcohol abuse, suffered from epilepsy and type two diabetes.
A post-mortem examination on Mr Carroll, who died on March 18, found that he had serious heart problems.
A toxicology examination revealed high levels of morphine and concluded that Mr Carroll died from the toxic effects of heroin.
Mr Carroll’s friend John Piper said he was with him hours before he died. Mr Piper said he had bought the drug for them and they had shared.
Mr Piper said that after injecting himself he went outside to see if he could find any disused cigarette tabs, and when he returned he found his friend slumped on the stairs.
Coroner Roger Whittaker said Mr Carroll’s tolerance to the drug may have been weakened because of the spell he spent in prison shortly before his death.
Mr Whittaker recorded a verdict of death due to drug abuse.