THE loft space of a detached Lindley home was badly damaged by fire.
Fire crews have praised the owner of the home in Gatesgarth Crescent for his “valiant” attempt to douse the flames in the property at 8.40pm on Wednesday evening.
The drama unfolded when the man smelled smoke and on accessing the loft of his home discovered flames.
He tried to put out the fire with buckets of water but then called the fire service.
Two crews from Huddersfield spent more than an hour extinguishing the flames.
Crew manager Andy Blackburn said: “The fire had been burning for some time and the occupants had no idea. It had started with an electrical fault in the loft. The home owner made a valiant attempt at trying to put it out but it was well seated.”
The landing ceiling had to be pulled down for fire crews to access the fire.