A MAN aged 60 died when he was apparently overcome by carbon monoxide fumes at his home in Doncaster.
Mr Michael Mackay was found dead by fire crews. His wife, Patricia, who is 59, was discovered unconscious in the family's home in Armthorpe and is now in "critical" condition in hospital.
Inquiries are centred on the couple's solid fuel fire.
South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue say they are awaiting test results on equipment examined after the tragedy.
Three steps to carbon monoxide safety
* Step One: Make sure all your gas appliances are checked and serviced every year.
* Step 2: This will be done automatically if you are a Kirklees Council tenant. If you are a private tenant and your landlord has not arranged the check push them to sort it out or call the Health And Safety Executive's gas safety section on 0800 300 363. A safety check costs around £40 and must be carried out by a CORGI-registered engineer. Phone CORGI on 0870 401 2300.
* Step 3: Buy a carbon monoxide detector and alarm - making sure it meets British Standard BS7860. They cost around £20.