A man in his 90s was taken to hospital suffering from the effects of smoke after clothes drying on a portable heater caught fire in Batley.
Fire crews from Batley and Dewsbury were called at 5.30pm on Tuesday when the man’s neighbour raised the alarm.
The elderly man was helped by the neighbour out of the property and he was taken to hospital by ambulance.
The blaze started in clothes which had been placed directly onto a portable heater to dry but instead caught alight.
Watch Manager John Jackson said: “The small fire had died out but this could have been a lot worse. Fortunately there were working smoke alarms in the property and the friendly neighbour raised the alarm.
“Drying clothes on a heater like this is fraught with risk as combustibles can easily ignite. There were a number of portable heaters within the property, including one in the bathroom, which is very dangerous as electrics and water do not mix.
“Portable heaters can be a favoured alternative to central heating but please ensure they are positioned safely and maintained in good working order.
“If you have an elderly neighbour, do your bit for them at this time of year and pop your head in to check they are living safely.”