A MAN escaped from a fish and chip shop blaze after a deep fat fryer overheated and burst into flames.
The fire started shortly before 9am yesterday morning at Harry Heywood’s chip shop on Manchester Road, Linthwaite.
The staff member, thought to be in his 50s, tried to put out the flames with wet tea towels but the fire was too fierce.
He escaped onto the road where he was given oxygen by firefighters who arrived from Slaithwaite and Marsden fire stations.
Watch Manager Graham Oldroyd, from Slaithwaite fire station, said: “He had gone to open up when one of the cooking units in the property set on fire.
“One of the units had overheated and the flames were sucked into the overhead extractor unit and the fire was pulled through that.
“It caused a lot of damage to the preparation area.
“The man tried to cover the fire with tea towels but the flames had spread really quickly.
“It was just a case of him getting out of the property.”
Fire crews attended the scene from Slaithwaite and Marsden with two appliances.
Two firefighters entered the shop wearing breathing apparatus.
One hose reel was used alongside a foam extinguisher to put out the flames.
After seeing smoke seeping from the windows of a flat upstairs, the crews also made sure the apartment was safe.
No-one was in the flat at the time of the fire.