A 65-YEAR-OLD man needed hospital treatment after trying to put out a chip pan fire with a hosepipe.
The man's son had put the pan on at the family's home on Richmond Avenue, Fartown, at 2pm yesterday.
The oil caught fire and the man carried the pan outside. He then poured water on it, but this sent the fat spraying up and he suffered minor burns to his neck and a shoulder. His hair was also singed.
His 18-year-old daughter suffered slight smoke inhalation.
Firefighters are urging people never to carry pans containing hot or burning oil. They should cover the pan with a damp cloth, turn the heat off and then call the fire service to ensure the fire is fully out.