A YOUNG man was rescued from a blaze in his flat after neighbours heard the fire alarm going off.

The fire broke out at his Marsden home yesterday morning, a West Yorkshire Fire Service spokesman said.

However, the man – in his late 20s – was fast asleep in his bedroom and didn’t hear the alarm going off.

Neighbours of his flat on Lakeside, off Warehouse Hill Road, alerted the emergency services.

And firefighters attended the scene at 10.07 yesterday morning.

It is believed that the oven had been left on and the fire had started there.

Toxic smoke was spreading through the house.

The firefighters banged on the door and managed to rouse the man, who escaped from his flat unharmed.

Two firefighters wore breathing apparatus to go into the apartment and they used a fan to clear the smoke.

The flat was smoke damaged.