A MAN is lucky to be alive today after a blaze wrecked his kitchen.
The 63-year-old was fast asleep in bed as the fire spread from a pan of food he had left cooking at the third-floor flat on Spring Grove Street in Springwood last night.
The fire burned itself out but the kitchen was badly damaged. The man woke at 11.20pm to find his flat filled with smoke.
He called the emergency services and was taken to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke.
Watch Manager Paul Mace, of Huddersfield Fire Station, said: "The man is lucky to be alive. The flat had a smoke detector - but there were no batteries in it."
* A pan left on an oven filled a flat with smoke in Berry Brow just before midnight last night.
Firefighters were called after smoke was spotted spiralling out of the flat and along corridors on the fifth floor of Holme Park Court.
No-one was in and the fire was confined to the pan. Fans were used to clear the smoke.
Firefighters came from Holmfirth, Meltham and Slaithwaite.