When her first grand-daughter died at birth, Marlene Parr and her family were devastated.
Holly James seemed to be the perfect baby but died after catching an infection called Group B Strep.
Despite her mother Helen working as a pharmacist, she had not heard of the form of bacteria and had no symptoms before losing Holly.
Now Marlene is working to raise awareness of the cause and how simple steps can be taken to protect other pregnant mums after her family’s own heartbreaking experience.
She and fellow members of Stocksmoor Village charity Ladies group raised around £700 by hosting a luncheon at the weekend.
The money raised will be donated to the Group B Strep Support, which works to prevent the life-threatening infection in newborn babies.
Marlene’s daughter Helen was fit and healthy throughout her pregnancy. She gave birth to her first child Holly in 2002 but sadly the little girl was stillborn.
Marlene, who lives in Almondbury, said: “When she had her first baby it was a perfect pregnancy.
“Holly was a full term baby at 8lbs and 2oz and she looked perfect - but she died at birth. It was absolutely devastating because it was her first baby and our first grandchild.
“We had a post-mortem and that’s when we found out she had this Group B Strep infection. My daughter’s a pharmacist in a hospital and had never heard of it.”
Group B Streptococcus is a bacterium found in around 20-25% of people.
Although usually harmless, it can be passed from mother to her baby around birth.
The large majority of babies do not develop group B Strep infection, but for those who do, it can be life-threatening.
Newborn babies affected by the bacteria could die or suffer from septicaemia, pneumonia or meningitis while under three months of age.
The support charity was founded by Jane Plumb MBE after her baby died and she was determined to make people aware of the dangers of the silent killer.
Finding out whether a mum is carrying this is in pregnancy is simple and preventative antibiotics can be taken in pregnancy.
Marlene said: “A lot of countries around the world screen for it during a woman’s pregnancy but in the UK they don’t test for it.
“It’s an easy test. A swab is taken and if it’s positive antibiotics are given to the mother throughout labour to ward off the infection.
“If this test was available when Helen was pregnant with Holly it may have saved her.”
After taking antibiotics with her next pregnancies Helen went on to give birth to two healthy children, 11-year-old William and Sasha who is aged nine.
The family now live abroad in Perth, Australia, but Marlene still regularly visits Holly’s grave at St James Church near Penistone.
Helen’s husband Tim raised £1,000 when he completed the Great North Run.
And Marlene hopes that routine testing will be introduced in the near future as the National Screening Committee is meeting later this year to discuss it.