A HEROIN addict was found dead on his living room floor, surrounded by drug paraphernalia, about a month after he was last seen, an inquest heard.
John Davies, 43, of Moorhead Close, Meltham, was found on his knees with his head on a table and shoelace and syringe, containing a brown substance, nearby.
Police were alerted by a neighbour who noticed a strange smell coming from his house on May 22.
His body was already in a state of decomposition when it was discovered.
At an inquest at Huddersfield Magistrates’ Court yesterday, coroner Roger Whittaker heard that Mr Davies had abused drugs and alcohol for many years.
In September 2007 he was admitted to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary with deep vein thrombosis in his arms. By February 2008 he was sleeping rough and was suffering from infected injection punctures.
By May his neighbours grew concerned as they had not seen him for some time and, alerted by the smell, they called police and PC Charlotte Gayford broke into the property and found Mr Davies’ body.
Next to him was the syringe and shoelace. A newspaper found was dated April 9.
Toxicology reports revealed evidence of codeine, heroin and caffeine as well as alcohol.
His caused of death was given as cardio respiratory failure due to an overdose of heroin.
Mr Davies, who was single and originally came from Carmarthen in Wales, died as a result of his dependency on drugs.