MEMBERS of Deighton and Sheepridge Conservative Club were evacuated when a fire ripped through the ground floor last night.
The blaze destroyed the bar area and also badly damaged the adjoining concert room on the ground floor of the club.
No one was hurt in the fire, which broke out at around 6pm last night, but bar staff had to evacuate several members who had been drinking there.
The Brackenhall Road club was last night closed to the public while firefighters assessed the damage.
It is not known when it will reopen.
Huddersfield Fire Station watch manager Andy Blackburn said three crews of firefighters from Huddersfield and Brighouse battled for hours to control the fire and make the area safe.
He said:“When we arrived the fire had taken hold of the downstairs area and caused quite substantial damage.
“We believe it was caused by an electrical fault at the back of a cooler in bar area, but a fire investigating officer is still to determine that.
“The ground floor was quite badly smoke damaged. The bar area has been completely gutted by the fire and will need to be replaced.The concert room was also badly damaged by smoke.
“The crews worked hard to limit the damage to the downstairs area; it’s quite a substantial club and it could have been a lot worse.
“Staff were getting ready to open and there were some customers in there but they had evacuated them when we arrived.
“I think the club will be closed for the foreseeable future until the damaged area can be replaced.”