Two men were treated by paramedics after using a garden hose to tackle a fire at a house in Huddersfield.
The homeowner and a neighbour had been out and returned to the house in Mill View, Milnsbridge , to find it full of smoke.
The fire had broken out in a bedroom and the two men called the fire brigade before grabbing a hose and trying to put it out.
Two fire officers wearing breathing apparatus then took over and the blaze was quickly brought under control.
The two men were treated at the scene by paramedics for smoke inhalation but did not need hospital treatment.
Fire officers said the men had done a “decent job” in fighting the fire with the garden hose, but urged people to be cautious, as the incident had left both men needing medical treatment.
The cause of the fire, discovered at about 10.30pm on Tuesday, is being investigated but it is thought it may have started as a result of electrical appliances being left plugged in and switched on.
Firefighters urged people to make sure all doors are closed when they leave a property, to stop a fire and smoke from spreading through the house.