A LONG-TERM addict died after he set fire to his flat while high on a cocktail of drugs.
Methadone user Grephan Masih died just hours after being taken to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary for a mental health assessment in March last year.
The inquest in Huddersfield yesterday heard that Mr Masih, 31, was taken to the accident and emergency unit by his brother-in-law Saleem Masih after concerns were expressed during an appointment with his drugs worker in the town centre.
But Mr Massih, a separated father-of-three who had a long history of drug dependency, left the hospital before staff from the “crisis team” who were attending were able to give him a mental health assessment.
His body was found hours later in his ground floor flat at Shearing Cross Gardens, Hillhouse, on March 5 by neighbours Rebecca Ghosh and Robinson Benjamin.
The smoke detector had been smashed from the roof and a mattress had been placed behind the door between the hall and living room.
A note was also found at the scene, although it could not be confirmed by relatives if it was in Mr Masih’s handwriting.
A post-mortem by pathologist Dr James Garvican said Mr Masih died from the effects of smoke inhalation, but a toxicological report showed he had a potentially fatal level of heroin-substitute methadone in his system along with levels of cocaine and heroin.
The inquest heard that Mr Masih, a former pupil of Colne Valley and Fartown High Schools, had been on a methadone programme for several years and had contact with several drug and health agencies.
Concerns had been expressed about his mental health and he had told his doctor he had heard voices in his head and had also attempted self-harming.
Fire investigator Glenn Meachan said a petrol can and milk bottle containing petrol had both been found in the kitchen of Mr Masih’s flat and attempts had been made to set alight a chair and settee in the living room.
Coroner Mr Roger Whittaker said Mr Masih deliberately ended his own life while the balance of his mind was disturbed.
He said the agencies had done everything they could to assist him.