HUDDERSFIELD'S MP says gas companies should pay for a £3m safety campaign.
Barry Sheerman's call came after he chaired a Parliamentary discussion by safety and gas industry experts.
Two years ago 10-year-old Dominic Rodgers was killed by carbon monoxide as he slept at his Fartown home in the MP's constituency.
An inquest heard that poisonous fumes had seeped from a gas boiler in a neighbouring house in Spaines Road.
Dominic's mother, Stacey, has since campaigned vigorously for better awareness of the facts about carbon monoxide.
She is also backing calls for the gas industry to pay for a £3m TV advertising campaign.
Mr Sheerman said: "The number of recent incidents of carbon monoxide poisoning in Huddersfield show that this is a serious issue that we still need to do more to tackle.
"We all agreed there is no simple solution, but we discussed a range of strategies, including a high-profile campaign."
Stacey said: "Money should not be an obstacle for the gas industry."
She urged people to get their gas appliances checked regularly and have a carbon monoxide detector fitted.
Stacey has featured in adverts by Corgi, the Council for Registered Gas Installers which were shown at the meeting chaired by Mr Sheerman.
She said: "I could not bring myself to watch the adverts at the meeting.
"There was silence in the room afterwards. We know these adverts do touch people.
"It is real life and people need to know what has happened, to stop it happening to them."