THE death of a 10-year-old Huddersfield boy has prompted MPs to launch an inquiry into public awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Huddersfield MP Barry Sheerman said he had been convinced of the need for further action after the gas took the life of Dominic Rodgers two years ago.
Ever since then his mother, Stacey Rodgers, has mounted a high-profile campaign to highlight the deadly nature of carbon monoxide.
Mr Sheerman will jointly lead the probe by the all-party gas safety group into the silent killer blamed for 30 deaths and many other illnesses each year.
Poorly fitted gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed or maintained are usually responsible, the group said.
Mr Sheerman said: "Following the tragic death of a young boy in my constituency from carbon monoxide poisoning I have become convinced that one of the most effective ways of preventing deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning is by raising awareness amongst consumers.
"The All Party Group has been working for a number of years with a range of stakeholders to raise awareness of the dangers.
"This inquiry will allow us to look at what work has already been undertaken, as well as examples of best practice in this area.
"Crucially, it will also consider campaign funding and how awareness can be improved."
Industry and consumer representatives will give evidence next month to the probe - which will also hear from Health and Safety Minister, Lord Hunt.
The youngster was found dead at his home in Fartown after the poisonous gas seeped through his bedroom floor while he slept.
The Examiner later gave away 100 carbon monoxide detectors, donated by British Gas, to help save lives.