KIRKLEES Council deputy leader John Smithson has slammed Huddersfield MP Barry Sheerman over his support for proposed hospital changes.
Clr Smithson spoke out as the Liberal Democrats launched their campaign to keep gynaecology, children's and maternity wards at Huddersfield Royal Infirmary.
Health chiefs have announced plans to move the services to the Calderdale Royal Hospital in Halifax.
The controversial plans have seen the Examiner postbag bulging with letters from angry Huddersfield people keen to see the plans scrapped.
The Liberal Democrats were in the town centre's King Street at the weekend, urging shoppers to sign a petition against the changes.
Clr Smithson said: "I was shocked that Barry Sheerman supported these stupid and dangerous plans.
"After all this time serving the people of Huddersfield I would have thought he would have known what was best for the town.
"Huddersfield is the biggest town in the land. It needs the services.
"The petition was signed by more than 200 people in just two hours. That proves the strength of feeling.
"These things have been proposed in the past and we have beaten them. That is what we are going to try to do again.
"Kirklees Liberal Democrats will do whatever we can to stop this. We cannot order health chiefs to make a U-turn, but we can make our feelings - and the feelings of the public - very clear."
For details of the petition, phone Jim O'Reilly on 01484 312721.
* Closing the existing children's ward at Huddersfield Royal Infirmary and transferring young patients needing hospital stays to Calderdale Royal Hospital, Halifax.
* Providing only midwife-led care for mums to be in Huddersfield and transferring those needing consultant back-up to the Calderdale Royal for delivery.
* Increasing the level of community midwifery services.
* Closing the gynaecology ward at HRI and transferring to the Calderdale Royal.
* Carrying out all planned in-patient orthopaedic and general surgery at the Calderdale Royal.
* Providing emergency surgery at Huddersfield Royal Infirmary.
* Moving all services provided by the Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Trust at St Luke's Hospital, Crosland Moor.