A MOTHER died after she was exposed to deadly asbestos while washing work overalls, a Huddersfield inquest heard.
Margaret Day, 79, of Kashmir Court, Church Street, Ravensthorpe, died on January 27 - less than four years after her son Alan, 52, also died from breathing in asbestos fibres while working at a mill.
Coroner Roger Whittaker confirmed the only time Mrs Day could have been exposed to the deadly fibres was when she used to wash her son's and her husband's work clothes decades earlier.
Both had worked in a Dewsbury mill where asbestos was commonplace.
Mrs Day, who was born in Heckmondwike but lived for the most part of her life in the Dewsbury area, did spend some time working in a weavers' factory.
However, Mr Whittaker said it was "very unlikely" she would have come into contact with asbestos other than that carried on her son's or husband's clothing.
Dr Patricia Gudgeon, who carried out the post mortem, said Mrs Day had a tumour in her right lung.
She said: "We examined cells of the tumour from the lung.
"Mrs Day's tumour was consistent with mesothelioma.
"There are quite well known cases where mothers and wives have been exposed to asbestos from washing clothes."
Recording a verdict of misadventure, Mr Whittaker said the death was particular tragic because of the family's double loss.
He said: "She was exposed to asbestos probably from both her husband's and her son's overalls.
"What I cannot conclude is that this is an industrial death because although the home was her workplace it was not a factory or mill.
"Therefore this was not an industrial disease, but it is clear to me it was in the washing of the clothes that she contracted this disease."