A FAULTY television was the suspected cause of a serious Huddersfield blaze that left a mother and son temporarily homeless yesterday.

The pair escaped unhurt before a bedroom at their Fartown home in Red Doles Road was gutted by a fire at 12.45pm yesterday.

They were alerted by a smoke alarm after a suspected electrical fault caused an old combination TV/video player to burst into flames.

The fire then spread to the curtains and engulfed the entire room.

Firefighters from Huddersfield arrived to find flames shooting out of the upstairs window of the semi-detached home.

The blaze was so intense it took two firefighters more than half-an-hour to extinguish the flames.

Firefighters were at the scene for almost three hours in total. West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service’s Red Cross Vehicle attended to help the victims.

The mobile home type vehicle carries clothing, food and drink for fire victims who can’t return to their homes and its staff give advice on what to do after a devastating blaze.