A WOMAN and her son have been banned from a junior soccer team’s matches pending a police investigation.
The 40-year-old woman and her 16-year-old son were arrested after a 51-year-old linesman ended up in hospital with head injuries after the incident at the Hartshead versus Shelley Under 13 game a week last Sunday.
The match at the School Lane pitch in Hartshead was abandoned after the incident.
The injured man – who had been unconscious – was taken to Dewsbury District Hospital by paramedics for treatment.
Hartshead JFC club secretary Julie Fox said the two who had been arrested have been barred from the club until the police investigation had been concluded along with a probe by the West Riding County FA.
But she is worried the incident will give the club a bad name and wanted to stress the club had taken immediate action.
“We certainly don’t condone this kind of behaviour,’’ she said.
“We’ve spent years building the club up and I don’t want it destroying over this. People who join the club have a strict code of conduct to follow.
“I want all the publicity surrounding this incident to stop now so the boys can concentrate on enjoying their football. The players are upset at what’s happened. It was an isolated incident and the club has not been involved in anything like this before.’’
Police have confirmed that the two arrested people remain on police bail until the end of this month while inquiries continue.