Councillors will today set out £1.4billion transport plans for the region which includes a new junction on the M62 near Brighouse.

The plans reveal Junction 24a will be located where A641 Bradford Road from Brighouse turns into Huddersfield Road, just off the Bradley Bar roundabout in Huddersfield

The £1.4bn fund will also fund £69.3m of work at the Cooper Bridge junction plus the A62 and A644; £5m on the Huddersfield Station Gateway; and £16m on improving the Halifax-Huddersfield A629 Calderdale Way corridor with improvements, including work at Elland Wood Bottom.

Railway stations throughout the region are also in line for a massive funding boost.

All of the plans are set to be done within the next 11 years.

A report to today’s Combined Authority – all West Yorkshire councils plus York – sets out the major spending plans.

It says that 80% of the funding will come from the government, with the remaining 20% from local authorities.

Kirklees leader Clr David Sheard said: “These schemes are essential for our growth. We’ll get the business, the economic growth, the development and jobs on the back of it.

Cooper Bridge roundabout, A62 Huddersfield.
Cooper Bridge roundabout, A62 Huddersfield.
 

“As the schemes are so costly it is not something we could ever do on our own, that’s why we need control as a region over transport and that can only be good for us here.

“Kirklees has been putting into the pot already. What we get for highways comes from the government and we are using it to improve roads and the transport network.”

Clr Sheard said the extra junction for the M62 was reliant on the Highways Agency as they manage the motorway network.

Plans for a relief road at Ravensthorpe are delayed towards the end of the plan due to bidding issues.

Traffic on the A629 Elland by-pass.
Traffic on the A629 Elland by-pass.
 

Clr Peter McBride, Cabinet Member for investment and regeneration, said: “This scheme will unlock the economic potential of the whole area, is much needed and has been a priority for us for some time.

“Our priority now is to work with partners to ensure that it is delivered in a way which focuses on improving access to business, access to employment opportunities, and making the most of the employment land we have.

“Today’s announcement is another step on the way to achieving that goal.”

Research shows that by the mid-2030s the transport fund would deliver more than 18,500 new jobs, 10,500 new homes and a £2.45bn boost to the economy across West Yorkshire and York every year.

And the predictions are that with improved transport networks, there would be a reduction of 18,500 car commuting trips per day.

Projects to be completed as part of the £1.4billion West Yorkshire Transport Fund include:

To be delivered by 2021:

Rail station gateways – Phase 1

Highways network efficiency across West Yorkshire strategic highway network

Wakefield City Centre Package (Kirkgate and Denby Dale junctions)

Halifax- Huddersfield A629 corridor Improvements and Halifax town centre (Phases 1-4 only)

West Yorkshire package of highways efficiency (all vehicles) and bus improvements (Phase 1 - focusing on priority corridors)

Rail station parking expansion programme across West Yorkshire

Calder Valley Line rail enhancements (to enhance Network Rail commitments)

A65 to the Airport Link Road, Leeds

A62 Cooper Bridge Junction, Kirklees

On site by 2021:

Rail station gateways – Phase 2

A62 to Huddersfield and A644 works (excluding later delivery of Ravensthorpe Relief Road)

Halifax- Huddersfield A629 corridor Improvements and Halifax town centre

West Yorkshire package of highways efficiency (all vehicles) and bus improvements (Phase 2)

A653 Dewsbury to Leeds corridor

M62 Junction 24a on A641 Bradford Road south of Brighouse (this project is dependent on the Highways Agency)

Bradford to Huddersfield A641 Corridor (partially completed)

To be delivered by 2025:

Rail station gateways - Phase 3

Castleford Highways Improvements

A644 Ravensthorpe Relief Road, Kirklees

West Yorkshire package of highways efficiency (all vehicles) and bus improvements (Phase 3)