HOUSEHOLDERS have been warned to put safety first after more incidents of poisoning from gas fires.
"Watch out for the Silent Killer" is the message from safety experts after one person was killed and seven were injured in three recent incidents.
Five were taken to hospital from one house in West Yorkshire.
The warning over deadly carbon monoxide comes from British Gas as cold temperatures continue and people keep their heating and fires on for long periods.
The alert over the killer exhaust fumes from gas fires includes a call for all gas appliances to be checked regularly and for homes to be fitted with a carbon monoxide detector.
Huddersfield youngster Dominic Rodgers, 10, of Spaines Road, Fartown, died last February when fumes seeped into his home.
In the most recent incident, a woman in her 70s was found dead at home in the Rhondda Valley, in South Wales, just before the new year.
That came just two days after two people were left needing hospital treatment for the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning in the Stoke area when the toxic fumes leaked into their house from a neighbouring property.
And, in a third incident, five members of the same family were taken to hospital after accidentally leaving a defective water heater running in their home in Keighley.
Investigations into all those incidents are on-going.
head of safety Chris Bielby said: "You cannot see it, smell it or taste it and the symptoms are often mistaken for flu - but there are around 50 reported carbon monoxide- related deaths each year.
"Now is the time of year when people are using their fires and central heating the most and it is absolutely vital that those appliances are working properly."