AN elderly woman watched TV oblivious to the shrill of her smoke alarm as fumes filled her flat .
The unnamed woman had taken her hearing aid out and was warming milk at her upstairs flat on Market Street in Paddock.
The smoke detector sounded just after 10.30 last night and was heard by neighbours who rang 999.
Sub-officer Simon Dennett, of Huddersfield fire station, said: "The door was locked and we couldn't get a response.
"We spotted a window open upstairs so a firefighter climbed up a ladder and in.
"He opened the living-room door and found the lady there watching TV.
"Amazingly, she was nonplussed when the firefighter went in. She simply said, "hello, what are you doing here". She was more concerned she had put us to some trouble."
The pan had boiled dry and smoke had seeped through the flat.
Firefighters gave the woman oxygen until paramedics arrived.
She refused a hospital check-up.
Fire crews used a fan to clear the smoke and a strong deodoriser to get rid of the smell.