An overheated laptop on a bed was the cause of a house fire in Paddock, fire chiefs have revealed.

Fire crews raced to Luck Lane on Tuesday lunchtime after a fire started in a conservatory attached to the rear of a mid-terrace property.

The conservatory was being used as a bedroom.

The fire caused serious damage to the roof of the house and spread to the roof space of the two adjoining properties.

Video Loading

Fortunately no-one was in any of the affected properties at the time.

Following the blaze a Fire Investigation Officer investigated the cause.

Ian Firth said: “We have concluded that the most likely cause of the fire was that it started as a result of a laptop being left on a bed within the conservatory.

“The bedding material would have limited the ventilation which is required to ensure the laptop doesn’t overheat.

“If a laptop is placed on anything that prevents cool air circulation through it, the device can overheat and ignite surrounding combustible items.

“Our advice would be to use laptops on a solid flat surface which allows the cooling system to operate properly.”

“There was no indication of a fault on the laptop itself.”

READ MORE: Recap: House fire in Luck Lane, Paddock

READ MORE: Fire crews battle to tackle blaze hitting three Paddock homes

West Yorkshire Fire Service have given some top tips for laptop users say the majority of laptops draw cooling air in through ventilation grills on their underside.

* If the laptop sits on an uneven, soft surface like a blanket, pillow, duvet or your lap, the flow of air into the laptop is inhibited. Subsequently, the cooling is reduced, heat builds up, the surface becomes hot and eventually the laptop overheats.

* This scenario is easily avoided by keeping the laptop on a hard and flat surface. You can use something as simple as a tray or get a special laptop holder or lap stand.