A WAR memorial remembering the Huddersfield men who died in the Boer War marks its centenary today.
The monument in Greenhead Park bears the name of 28 soldiers who died during the campaign.
It was unveiled by Gen Sir John French on May 20, 1905.
The memorial was built by public subscription at a cost of £500.
Newspapers of the time reported Birmingham-based bronze founders Messrs Hart, Son, Peard and Co had been commissioned to erect the 9ft-high memorial.
It consists of a pedestal of unpolished Aberdeen grey granite beneath a bronze figure of a man in khaki, in the uniform and slouch hat worn during the campaign.
The memorial unveiling was attended by many local dignitaries and officials, such as councillors and Army personnel, including the Yorkshire Dragoons.
Members of the Huddersfield and District Army Veterans' Association, boys from Mirfield Reformatory School, the Kirkheaton company of the Boys' Brigade and Huddersfield St John Ambulance Brigade also attended.