Shopping on hob starts blaze
A WOMAN in her 70s was taken to hospital after battling a blaze in her home. The fire broke out at the house on Grove Terrace off Elland Road in Brighouse at 11.20am yesterday. The blaze started when bags of shopping were left on the hob which had been switched on. The 77-year-old woman called the fire service but stayed in her back-to-back terrace attempting to douse the flames. She was rescued from the house by firefighters from Brighouse and Elland stations. They extinguished the fire and called for an ambulance to take the woman to hospital. The pensioner was released after a check-up found she had suffered no injuries in the incident.The flames damaged the hob and caused smoke damage throughout the house.