BRAVE firefighters saved a man who had doused himself in petrol moments before his house caught fire.
The Dewsbury crew had been called to the house at Heckmondwike Road in Dewsbury Moor at 4.45pm yesterday.
Police were already at the house responding to reports of a domestic row there.
The 42-year-old man was alone and seen in an upstairs bedroom window pouring petrol over himself.
Watch manager Ronnie Goldwater, of Dewsbury fire station, said: "Suddenly the house caught fire. Firefighters went in, found him unconscious and dragged him out. They did a magnificent job saving his life. The entire upstairs of the house had been badly damaged by fire."
The man was taken to Dewsbury District Hospital suffering from minor injuries.
He was later discharged and arrested by police on suspicion of arson.
He was in custody at Dewsbury police station today.