A COUPLE escaped a serious house fire after a burning tea-light was knocked on to a sofa.
A woman was taken to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary with smoke inhalation injuries after the incident on Saturday evening.
Firefighters from Huddersfield and Dewsbury arrived at the terraced house at Woodhead Road, Lockwood , to find flames licking out of the living room window.
It is thought one of the couple’s pets may have knocked a burning tea-light from a shelf while they were out of the room.
Watch Commander Andy Blackburn, from Huddersfield Fire Station said 6ft high flames had been shooting out from the property when they attended at 8.40pm.
He said: “A male was in the basement and a woman was in the bedroom, so the fire was in between them.
“It was well alight when we got there. There was also a dog and a cat and we think the tea-light has been knocked on to an old sofa, which was not flame retardant.
“The fire spread rapidly and they had no working smoke alarm.
“They both got out, but the female was suffering with a tight chest.”
Firefighters from Dewsbury also helped battle the blaze – which took over an hour to extinguish.
Watch Commander Blackburn added: “Tea-lights have been responsible for quite a lot of fires.
“We prefer it if people use candles that are secured in candle holders.
“If you have pets be wary as they can knock furniture.”