A POPULAR Huddersfield pub may be changing names.

Landlord Bruce Travis wants the Station Tavern to become the King's Head some time this year.

The St George's Square pub may have been known by that name earlier in its history.

There was a pub called the King's Head on the Civic Centre site, but it shut in 1905.

The proposed new name is just one of the changes planned for the Station Tavern.

Mr Travis, who took over running the bar in August, 2003, from Wilbert Cock, has also applied for permission to set up cafe facilities and to sell alcohol from 9am to 3am.

Along with the Head of Steam pub the tavern is part of the railway station's 416ft-long facade, which poet and architectural pundit Sir John Betjeman called "the most splendid in England".

The pubs were once separate ticket offices for the two companies which operated out of the station after it opened in 1850.

The Head of Steam end of the facade was used by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway while the Station Tavern end hosted the London and North Western.

But the ticket office moved to its current location in the centre in the 1880s, with the two ends used as pubs.

In the years since the Station Tavern may also have been known as the Railway Tavern, the King's Head and the Brooks Arms.

In the 1960s it was the station refreshment room.