SAFETY experts have warned Huddersfield sun-seekers about the dangers of gas tragedies.

They have urged people jetting out to warmer climes or taking boating or camping holidays nearer home to ensure their holiday doesn't end in a poison gas tragedy.

The deaths of two couples in the past 18 months alone have shown that travellers can be at risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning in all sorts of accommodation - and now British Gas is warning holidaymakers to be on their guard.

Every year CO poisoning results in deaths and injuries with faulty gas appliances in homes the main culprits.

In February, 10-year-old Dominic Rodgers, of Fartown, died when he was overcome by carbon monoxide fumes at his home.

His mother Stacey Rodgers has enlisted British Gas experts to promote a UK safety drive.

Now tourists are also being warned to look out for `freak' CO dangers that could spell death or injury this summer, with people having fallen foul of the gas on boating holidays and camping breaks.

In May this year, a Bristol couple were fatally poisoned by carbon monoxide during a camping trip to Brean, Somerset. A paraffin heater and barbecue were found inside the couple's tent and a lack of ventilation meant CO fumes had accumulated.

A Warwickshire couple died in January last year in their narrow boat on the Grand Union Canal after they blocked up a vent with card to stop a draught. CO fumes from their heating system built up in a below-deck cabin.

Chris Bielby, head of Quality and Standards for British Gas, said:

"Although it's rare, CO poisoning can strike when any fuel-burning appliance is used in a confined space, so people should avoid using equipment such as camping heaters, gas lamps and charcoal grills in places like tents, camper vans and boat cabins."


* Spillage stains, soot and discolouring around water heaters and cookers

* Flames that burn yellow or orange when they should be blue

* Unusual smells are obvious signs that appliances may have been neglected or haven't been checked properly