Residents have been warned to take care when cooking this Christmas after two incidents in Huddersfield.
Both ended up with people having medical treatment.
Huddersfield fire fighters attended two blazes within the space of an hour on Monday night, and both were caused after residents left their food unattended.
The first incident occurred at 11.50pm, when three crews fought a blaze in the Dockery, Lockwood, which started while the house’s owner was attempting to bake honey in the oven without a working fire alarm.
The middle-aged woman and her pets had to be taken out from the building after her kitchen filled with smoke.
She was treated for the effects of smoke inhalation at the scene while firefighters battled the flames, which gutted her oven. The crews also fitted new working detectors into her house.
Just an hour later, the crews were called to another fire. It was in a flat in Holme Park Court, Berry Brow, after a man fell asleep while cooking.
The tenant, who is in his 20s, had to be carried out of the 10th-floor flat of the tower block due to being intoxicated after crews from five fire engines battered down his door.
He had gone to sleep in his bedroom while a pan was left heating on the stove.
Firefighters managed to extinguish the blaze, which destroyed his oven and nearby wall and the man was taken to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary for smoke inhalation.
Watch commander, Andy Rose, said: “As we move into the festive period we urge residents to take caution while cooking and baking food.
“Everyone should ensure that they have working smoke detectors and should be wary of cooking after drinking alcohol.”