A van crash has left 70 homes without gas.
Two homes were also evacuated as a precaution when a white Citroen Berlingo panel van careered into a gas mains pipe on Westfield Lane in Emley due to black ice just after 7am this morning.
An ambulance was called to the scene in between Jagger Lane and Lenacre Lane, and took the driver to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary. The driver escaped with minor injuries.
But it could take until tomorrow before gas is restored to the properties by Northern Gas Networks, who have been giving out electrical heaters to those affected.
The residents of the evacuated homes have since been allowed back into their properties but were offered shelter in nearby Emley Methodist Church while network staff worked to confirm no gas had leaked.
Jim Dodds, deputy mayor for Kirklees Council, attended the scene.
He said: “The gas box unit has been completely wrecked.
“People need to be aware of the potential of black ice when out on the roads.
“But I’ve been really impressed by the work of Northern Gas Network staff, who got to the scene quite quickly and are still working on it.
“Thorncliffe Farm Shop has also been really helpful by allowing the cafe to be used as the Network’s base.
“Affected residents can pick up gas heaters from here.”
The stretch of road was closed to traffic until late morning, causing long tailbacks and two fire crews from Huddersfield and Skelmanthorpe attended the scene.
The 232 Tiger bus service was forced to divert via the 231 route through Flockton.
A spokesperson from Northern Gas Network said gas could remain off until tomorrow due to the “possibility that it could take 24 hours to repair.”
Jim Gallagher, Network Officer for Northern Gas Networks said: “Before we can begin our work to repair the gas governor and restore gas supply, we need to access all affected properties to switch the gas off at the meter.
“Electric hot plates are also being provided to affected customers on a priority basis.
“We’d like to thank everyone for their patience while we work to get the gas back on as quickly as possible.”
Anyone that smells gas or suspects Carbon Monoxide should call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999. This line is in operation 24/7.