PROTESTERS today won a 48-hour postponement of roadworks in Holmfirth.
The pledge came when objectors came out in force again after phone giant BT said it would press ahead with roadworks.
Campaigners with placards demonstrated on the town's Huddersfield Road in a follow-up to a demonstration yesterday.
BT said it was putting off the start of work today and would meet the objectors tomorrow at Holmfirth Civic Hall.
Campaigner Andrew Bray said: "This is good news as it is the first time they have agreed to meet us."
Residents have been angered by BT's plans because they were announced only last Friday and come after months of road works during the summer when Transco carried out work to new gas pipes.
Paul Dorrell, spokesman for BT, said he sympathised with residents but said they had already postponed the work before - at the request of Kirklees Council.
"We had a meeting on Friday between ourselves and Terry Brown, Kirklees highways assistant director, where we explained why it is essential that the work goes ahead now and why we cannot delay it any longer," he said.
"We need telephone lines to a new housing development, where people are due to move in by January 25.
"We are taking the opportunity to put in extra capacity so we will not have to do more roadworks for several years."
The roadworks are due to stop on November 30 for a month's break over Christmas and New Year.
They will then start again after January 10.
Tory councillor Donald Firth said: "Sadly, BT seem determined to continue despite the fact the homes they are laying cables to have not even been built yet.
"Why they need to disrupt the Christmas period is beyond me. Why they can't wait till January is beyond comprehension.