A MASSIVE skip caught fire at Huddersfield waste disposal centre.

People can dump rubbish ranging from household items through to garden waste at the tip on Emerald Street.

But staff at the centre realised the household waste skip was on fire at 11.20am yesterday.

They tried to fight it with a fire extinguisher, but it quickly spread.

Sub-officer Simon Dennett, of Huddersfield fire station, said: "In the end we had to get the staff to tip the rubbish on to nearby wasteground and spread it out with a JCB so we could douse it with water and make sure the fire was fully out."

The fire is thought to have been caused by a smouldering or flammable item being dumped in the skip.