A MAN was woken by smoke detectors after a smouldering cigarette flared up in his waste paper bin.
The man in his 50s was asleep at his upstairs flat on Whinney Hill Park, Brighouse, when the detectors went off at 6am today.
He discovered the burning wicker bin and took it outside.
Brighouse firefighters quickly doused the bin and cleared smoke from the flat.
But they said the drama showed the importance of having smoke detectors.
Watch manager Mick Holbrook said: "If the man had not had the smoke detectors he would not have woken up - possibly at all.
"The fire would have spread through his flat."
Firefighters carry out free home risk assessments and can fit smoke detectors for free. Phone 0800 5874536 to make an appointment.