A MUM came back from a shopping trip - to find her house covered with scaffolding.
Bungling Kirklees Council workmen had got the wrong address!
Tenant Tammy Williams couldn't believe her eyes when she saw the steel web.
Workers had created a two-storey metal cocoon around the wrong house in New Mill!
The mother-of-three had been out all day and when she got back to her Royds Avenue home at 3pm she was confronted with the sight of her end-terrace surrounded by scaffolding.
Tammy, 29, said: "My first thought was `Oh My God, what's happened?' I couldn't understand why it was there.
"There was no-one with it and there was no notification with it.
"I thought it can't be that serious if no-one was there."
A confused Tammy followed the trail to the back of her house and discovered the workmen had wreaked havoc in the garden.
She says workmen:
Blocked the gate with scaffolding, so she couldn't let out her two boxer dogs.
Knocked over a can of paint which splattered over the garden and a fishtank.
Used polythene she was saving to cover furniture as she decorated her home as an impromptu footpath over mud, to avoid dirtying their boots.
Tammy said: "I was gob- smacked. I really couldn't believe it. It's beyond ridiculous."
Tammy, who lives next door to mum Glenys, 52, rang Kirklees and was told no-one knew anything about her peculiar plight.
She added: "They made some inquiries and referred me to Building Services.
"They said they knew nothing about it, but after checking they told me it was them and they had got the wrong house.
"I told the person on the phone they had no right to do it and she basically told me they could do what they wanted because it was a council house.
"They've created havoc.
"If it wasn't my house I would probably be laughing at it."
But on a return visit to take down the scaffolding yesterday workmen refused to remove it.
A spokesman for Kirklees Building Services said: "The scaffolding was put up by mistake and we have arranged with the tenants to return today and remove it.
"We apologise for the inconvenience caused."