CHRISTMAS trees can turn festive fun into a grisly nightmare in seconds.
Firefighters have filmed their own shocker to warn people of festive fire danger. They built a set at Dewsbury Fire Station and then set it alight.
The inferno swept through the room at such a frightening pace it was engulfed in just 90 seconds.
The film was made by fire staff Keith Newton, Ken Wilkinson and Andrew Hanson.
It has been added to a new fire safety DVD which also features front room and bedroom blazes which were also shot at sets built at Dewsbury fire station.
Assistant Chief Fire Officer Craig McIntosh said: "It's no coincidence we wanted to premiere the film around Christmas because it's a time of year when so sadly many families celebrations turn sour.
"Faulty Christmas tree lights and overloaded electrical sockets signal danger in the home.
"I don't want this Yuletide to bring any more tragedy.
"I want people to enjoy themselves in safety by showing the stark reality of how rapidly fire can turn their house into an inferno."
The DVD will be used at community fire safety meetings and events and is due to be distributed to fire services around the country.
Mr McIntosh: "I'm sure the result will not only serve us well for the next decade, but will be in demand across the country."
Dewsbury firefighter Colin Drury said: "Make sure all your Christmas lights and trimmings meet British safety standards.
"The last thing we want to be attending at Christmas is a serious house fire like this."
He said Christmas trees quickly dry out in centrally-heated homes and can easily be accidentally set on fire.
Colin added: "Think of fire safety as a way of life. If you don't, it might be the end of your life.
"Don't use candles near trees, don't overload sockets, be incredibly aware of the dangers of cigarettes. Keep the tree in moist sand or soil, anything to keep it cool."
He added: "The fire was quite horrifying to see. The TV exploded in the searing heat."
Donations for the set were made by many companies.