PEOPLE suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning may mistake it for another condition, research has shown.
And calls for greater awareness of the dangers of the potentially deadly gas have been backed by bereaved Fartown mum Stacey Rodgers.
CO poisoning has caused 100 deaths in the past two years, but a study by pharmacy company Lloyds has shown many more people may be affected by a milder form of the condition without realising it.
Health checks on people who complained of illnesses like flu in some cases found their symptoms were actually the result of mild CO poisoning.
Stacey, whose son Dominic died from CO poisoning in 2004, said any attempts to raise awareness of the issue was a good thing.
She added: “There’s only so much I can do, so anything to help is great.
“People need to make sure they get their gas appliances checked by a Corgi registered engineer.”