A CAMPAIGN spearheaded by a Huddersfield mum, warning people of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, is helping to save lives.
Stacey Rodgers has bravely campaigned to raise awareness since her 10-year-old son, Dominic, died from carbon monoxide poisoning at their Fartown home in February last year.
The fumes are thought to have leaked into his bedroom from a flue next door venting into a passageway.
An inquest into Dominic's death has yet to be resumed.
Tragedy struck Huddersfield again early last month when Kam Shing Lam and his wife Mary died from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a faulty gas fire at their Lockwood home.
In the latest stage of her safety campaign, Stacey visited Huddersfield University to warn students of the dangers - and urge them to make sure appliances in their homes are checked.
She revealed a Holmfirth family had thanked her for possibly saving their lives.
The family was suffering from headaches and after reading about her campaign, checked their gas appliances. High levels of carbon monoxide were found.
Stacey said: "Things happen for a reason and it may be Dominic's death has saved many more lives.
"There is no doubt that what happened to Dominic brought the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning to the attention of people in Huddersfield .
"In a way I think the campaign has helped me with the bereavement process."
Stephanie Trotter, president of the charity CO-Gas Safety, was with Stacey when she launched the week-long safety exhibition at the Students' Union building at Huddersfield University.
She said: "What happened to Dominic was horrific and Stacey has done such an amazing job to raise the profile of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
"Now we want the Government to do more. If Ministers imposed a levy of £1 per customer per year on all gas customers in the UK, they would have more than £22m to spend advertising the dangers.
"That has to be the way forward and I've yet to meet anyone who does not agree with me."
She urged people to have their gas appliances fully serviced every year and not to simply rely on it being checked and a safety certificate issued.
She said almost 400 people have died from carbon monoxide poisoning since 1995.
"You can't see it, smell it or taste it, but carbon monoxide can kill you. It can give you headaches, nausea, exhaustion, drowsiness, dizziness, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, palpitations and pains in the chest," she said.
* For more information go to www.co-gassafety.co.uk