THE mother of a Huddersfield boy killed by carbon monoxide poisoning today welcomed “closure” after a court case in Corfu.
Stacey Rodgers, who saw her son Dominic die at their Fartown home, voiced her sympathy for the families of two West Yorkshire youngsters killed by the gas on the holiday island.
But she agreed with the families of Christianne and Bobby Shepherd that it was wrong that a travel company had been cleared.
The parents of the brother and sister from Wakefield who died from carbon monoxide poisoning said they were “beyond disappointment” after a Greek court cleared two tour company reps of any wrongdoing.
Neil Shepherd and Sharon Wood said their faith in the Thomas Cook company had been “misplaced and abused” after Christi, seven, and her six-year-old brother died after a faulty boiler leaked gas into their bungalow in Corfu in October 2006.
The children were on a half-term holiday with their father and his partner, Ruth Beatson, who were both left in a coma as a result of the accident, but survived.
Mr Shepherd said: “If just one person had done their job correctly Christi and Bobby would be here today.
“Nobody deliberately set out to cause Christi and Bobby’s death, but everyone who worked on or knew about the disgusting state of the boiler in our eyes were grossly negligent.
“We paid money to Thomas Cook to send us to a hotel they considered safe. Our faith in this company was misplaced and abused.”
Mrs Wood said: “Our feelings go beyond disappointment for we consider each of the defendants a link in a chain of events which led to our children losing their lives – each of these links vital, each capable of preventing the tragedy. I have and always will include Thomas Cook in this link. They are the biggest travel company in the world.”
Ms Rodgers, who has campaigned tirelessly for greater awareness of carbon monoxide since Dominic’s death in 2004, said she had spoken many times to Sharon Wood and shared concerns with her.
“I feel really sorry for all the families.
“They have had to wait more than three years for this and I know from my own experience that you cannot get closure until all the inquiries have finished.
“It is a rollercoaster of emotions, but now I hope they can find closure.
“The one positive is that there should be greater awareness of carbon monoxide but, again, it is terrible that is has had to take the deaths of two children to do that.”