HUDDERSFIELD campaigner Stacey Rodgers has joined forces with TV property expert Kirstie Allsopp to raise awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning.
They launched a new campaign today called Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed!
It encourages people to have carbon monoxide alarms fitted in their homes and to ensure their gas, oil and solid fuel appliances are serviced every year.
Carbon monoxide gas is colourless, odourless and tasteless and is given off by faulty appliances which burn fossil fuels. The gas causes serious injury and even death.
The campaign is the first big project to be launched by the Carbon Monoxide Consumer Awareness Alliance, a group which brings together carbon monoxide and gas safety charities, regulatory bodies and suppliers.
It was created a year ago, after Huddersfield MP Barry Sheerman formed an all-party Parliamentary committee to look at the issue of carbon monoxide awareness.
Stacey, from Deighton, has been heavily involved with the group.
She has campaigned tirelessly to raise awareness about carbon monoxide after it claimed the life of her 10-year-old son Dominic in 2004.
He died when carbon monoxide fumes from a neighbour’s faulty boiler seeped through brickwork into his bedroom at their home at Spaines Road, Fartown.
She hopes that a high-profile property expert such as Kirstie Allsopp will be able to hammer home the safety message to homeowners and landlords.
Stacey said: “Kirstie is really respected in the property industry and hopefully people will listen to her.
“I met her and she is really behind the campaign. She seems really determined to help.
“We have worked very hard to get to this point and the campaign is really exciting.”
Allsopp, the face of Channel 4 programme Location, Location, Location, said: “I’m staggered by how few of the many homes I see have carbon monoxide alarms.
“Carbon monoxide can kill you or leave you with permanent brain damage.
“It’s easy to protect yourself: fit an audible alarm and get your boiler and other fuel-burning appliances checked at least once a year. These two simple steps could save your and your family’s lives.”
As well as fitting an audible detector and servicing appliances, the campaign urges people to be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
These include nausea, dizziness, tiredness, headaches, loss of balance and forgetfulness.
Research shows that currently only 6% of people describe themselves as “very confident” that they would recognise the symptoms.
Many believe carbon monoxide poisoning to have affected them at some point in their lives, however, with one in 30 saying they had suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Even if it is not fatal, it can cause serious and long-term health problems.
Research has revealed 20 million households in the UK do not have the necessary precautions to protect them against carbon monoxide.
For more information about the campaign and how to stay safe, visit www.CO-BeAlarmed.co.uk