ONE year ago next month Stacey Rodgers in her own words "woke up to every parent's nigthmare."
She discovered her only child Dominic lifeless in his bed on February 12, 2004.
Tests showed 10-year-old Dominic had died from carbon monoxide poisoning after gas seeped from a neighbour's flue into the bedroom of the privately-rented house in Spaines Road, Fartown.
Although devastated Miss Rodgers, 27, who now lives in Deighton, was keen to avoid any other parent going through the nightmare she faced.
And this week she spoke in the House of Commons to mark the 10th anniversary of CO-Gas Safety, a registered charity which works to raise awareness.
Members of Huddersfield Crusaders Majorette troupe, including Dominic's auntie Michelle, also performed on the Victoria Embankment as part of the anniversary celebrations and in memory of Dominic.
Miss Rodgers, who works as an inspector and packer at Fartown-based Montgomery Engravers, said: "It was a brilliant day and hopefully helped to raise awareness of the cause.
"Coming up to the first anniversary of Dominic's death is a particularly difficult time and I have written a poem, Our Children That Live In Our Hearts, to mark the occasion."
Miss Rodgers thanked everyone who supported the event including family, friends and utility and industry representatives who attended the event.
Huddersfield MP Barry Sheerman, who hosted Stacey and her group at the House of Commons following their campaign, said: "I have nothing but admiration for her.
"She has turned a total tragedy into a campaign which can only help to save lives.
"This young woman has become an experienced and vociferous campaigner and I am thrilled to witness her success."