THE Examiner has today teamed up with British Gas in a major partnership to press home the carbon monoxide safety message.

And in a huge boost for safety, the energy firm is handing over 1,000 life-saving CO detectors to the Examiner for readers to claim.

Details of how to get the detectors will be unveiled on Thursday.

The move follows the deaths of a couple at their home above a takeaway shop in Lockwood this month from carbon monoxide poisoning.

And it comes just over a year after the tragic death of 10-year-old Dominic Rodgers, who was poisoned by fumes from a neighbour's gas boiler as he slept in his Fartown home.

Examiner editor Roy Wright said: "One death is a tragedy; to have three in a year is almost unbelievable.

"We were appalled to hear that all the deaths were from carbon monoxide poisoning.

"We want to do all we can to ensure there are no more tragedies of this nature."

Chris Bielby, head of safety at British Gas, said: "It's an issue of great concern to us that despite three tragic deaths in the area, people are still ignoring the simple steps they can take to keep themselves safe.

"This isn't something people should take lightly.

"Carbon monoxide kills up to 50 people in this country every year and injures hundreds more.

"The cases in Huddersfield show it can affect anyone at any time, whatever age they are.

"You can't see it, you can't smell it and you can't taste it. So it's vital that people make sure they know about carbon monoxide and make sure their homes and families are safe," added Mr Bielby.

He said every home should take two simple steps to stay safe:

Make sure each gas appliance is serviced every year by a Corgi-registered engineer, such as British Gas workers.

Fit a British Standard-approved carbon monoxide detector as an added line of defence.

British Gas is putting a carbon monoxide safety message on all bills sent to its energy customers as part of its campaign to increase awareness of the deadly risks of carbon monoxide.

Safety advice and information on carbon monoxide and other home safety issues is also included on the company's website